Tuesday, January 5, 2016

My friendly confines

Unless they have some first-hand experience with the city, mentioning Tokyo to those in the general populace evokes a certain handful of images. Expensive? Sure. Tons of people? You bet. Raw fish, fast trains, and all manner of assorted weirdness? You could say that.

Another topic sure to come up is Tokyo's cramped spaces and the challenges they pose in finding housing. We're not all crammed into capsule hotels, thankfully, but admittedly there is a kernel of truth to this, too. I'm getting my first taste of this as I settle into what will be my home for at least the first few months of my time as a Tokyoite.



In keeping with tradition, below is the nickel tour of my living quarters. If you're wondering, I can stand in the middle of the room, reach out to touch one wall with my hand, then reach out my opposite leg and touch the other wall with my toes -- and not even at full stretch. For the record, I'm 5 foot 9 and not particularly lanky.

Yes, I can hear you in the back saying, "What did you expect? It's Tokyo!" I'm aware of that, thanks, and this is pretty much what I anticipated. Still, this is quite the shrinkage from my studio in Abu Dhabi (the high ceiling gave it a more open feel despite its not being that large). Until I get a job and some positive cash flow, though, this will have to do.








1 comment:

  1. It's a start, at least, and you have a roof over your head. How was orientation?

    ReplyDelete